Posted by: JUDY | 2009-01-13

ideal weight for height?

I am 39 yrs old, 1.61cm , currently 56kg. I am running 10 and 21 km and want to know what is the ideal weight for myself.
Why is it so difficult to loose 2kg?

Expert ImageSports Nutrition

Hi Judy

Body Mass Index (BMI) is the new index to determine if a person is overweight.
Divide your weight in kilograms by your height square root – this means your height multiplied by itself e.g. 1.61 x 1.61

Thus your reading is 21.6 which is great!
Your body fat should be between 19-25. Over 25 fall into the overweight category and over 30 in the obese category.

I cant give you a quick answer to fix your weight – there are too many questions I would need to ask, however a quick fix to loose those 2 kilos is to eat lost of veggies – fill up on them when ever you are hungry! For the rest have half a cup of muesli with fat free yoghurt for breakfast, one small portion of LEAN protein per day, and add some good fats to your diet. Drink lots of water and avoid all sugars and fatty food.
Best advice is to visit a dietitian who can give you proper advice and work out a diet specific to your needs and lifestyle. You must eat balanced to obtain & maintain your health.

Lastly keep exercising you are doing great. You could however increase your exercise output to burn more calories which will lead to weight loss, unless you have a metabolic dysfunction in which case you will have to visit your doctor.

Take care