Posted by: Ntokozo | 2011-04-13

Ideal weight?

I''m 1.53m tall and I weigh 65kg. What is my ideal or healthy weight? I used to weigh 58kg before having kids. After my second pregnancy my weight shot up to 80kg, but I managed to bring it down to 65kg. Now I''m struggling to go down any further. Maybe you have suggestions on how to lose the remaining kilos.

Expert ImageEating Disorders Expert

Hi Ntokozo,
The most recognised way of determining normal weight is by use of a simple equation that calculated weight to height and gives you a Body Mass Index (BMI). For females, the normal BMI range is 18.5 to 24. At 65 kilograms you are marginally overweight, but you should not become overly concerned, as your fat to mauscle ratio can make this ranges flexible to some extent. At your current weight, you should not be experiencing any significant medical complications as a result of your weight. I suggest you seek some dietary advice (even from the forum, DietDoc) and eat sensibly. If you weight remains the same on a healthy moderated intake and you do moderate exercise, then you need to accept that you current weight is your predisposed weight if it doesn't change. Your previous weight of 58 kilograms was ideal, but since giving birth, one can expect a little weight gain to remain.