Posted by: Help | 2009-09-10

Ideal weight

Please help what should my ideal weight be and what should my BMI be. My height is 1.56, I am 42 yrs old, currently I weigh 57.
And I don'  t feel comfortable, got a bit extra around hips and tummy, I do exercise but mostly on weekends only and at home, I don’ t like gyms, as during the week there is always too much to do at home. Any advise would be welcome please both on diet and exercise.

Dear Help
Your present BMI = 23 which is close to ideal for an adult woman. Generally speaking you could try for a BMI of 22, for which you would need to weigh 53 kg. You can eating an energy-reduced, low-fat, high-fibre diet (click on 'Diet' at the top of this page, 'Weight loss', ‘Balanced diet’ and then on 'Slimming Diet' for a copy of such a diet), and increase your exercise. If you don't like gyms, go for brisk walks for 30 min a day increasing how fast and far you walk as you get fitter. If you are too busy, buy a skipping rope and skip for 30 min a day when you get the chance. The weightloss and the cardio exercise should firm up your hips and tummy. If after 2-3 months of this regimen you are still bothered by your hips and tummy, then you may need to do targeted exercises like sit-ups and thigh rolls. Ask Fitness Doc for such targeted exercises that you can do at home.