Question
Posted by: Nina | 2012-06-05

Ideal Small Short haired dogs for a family with kids

I was really intending to get a chihuahua or miniature dachshund for my kids. I was told that these may not be ideal pets for a family with kids.

Please advise what are the most child friends short haired, small dogs that I could get. We specifically need a small dog as our yard is small and we would prefer keeping our pet inside with us. Short haired, because of my allergies.

Hi Nina

There are many breeds that you can choose from but my preferences would include Border Terrier, Cavalier Kings Charles Spaniel, Min Poodle, West Highland White Terrier and Jack Russel Terrier.

Kind regards

Angus Campbell

4
Posted by: Nina | 2012-06-12

Thank you!!!

Reply to Nina
Posted by: CyberVet | 2012-06-12

Hi Nina

Kind regards

Angus Campbell

Reply to CyberVet
Posted by: Jane | 2012-06-05

Chihuahua are NOT ideal dogs for kids - ideal for Granny to sit on her lap, and let no one close - best protector. Dachshund can be great, but kids must not be too rough, as they do have long and weaker backs. Maltese are friendly little chaps, lots of fun, but kids must learn to be gentle to all. I love Anna''s suggestion - rescue a dog. Check out Wet Nose - East of Pretoria - super facilities and there you have time to get to know the dogs. There are many welfares - ad its great to save a life. I only have rescued animals.
Love that your dog will live inside with you. Another option, go and chat to the Vet that you would later use, usually the nearest vet - ask him/her for advice on dogs for kids and in a small garden. If you are not in a hurry, , 20 to 22 July is WODAC at Gallgher in Midrad - you can see lots of different breeds of dogs, and also Welfares - chat to all, get as much info as possible. Good luck.

Reply to Jane
Posted by: Anna | 2012-06-05

Short haired dogs hair usually fall out. This would make your allergy worse? Long hair dog hair usually do not fall out so much.

My advice, go and get a dog from the SPCA. You can observe the dogs temperament at the shelter and also chieck if the hairfall would be a problem.

Best of all, you will be saving a puppy''s life.

Reply to Anna