Question
Posted by: Janie | 2009-08-22

ICE WATER

I drink only ice water (atleast 2 litres p/d) and no room temprature water. Does the ice water suppress my metabolism and is it bad for me? What are the neagatives and possitives of ice water?

Dear Janie
Drinking very cold or iced water may reduce your body temperature slightly which may not be pleasant in winter. It should, however, not really make a difference to your metabolism and will probably not have any negative effects. I trust that you are not drinking large quantities of other liquids in addition to the 2 litres of water that you consume per day? Please keep in mind that the recommended LIQUID intake for adults is about 2,5 litres per day and that it includes all liquids that you drinking (e.g. tea, coffee, fruit juice, cold drinks, bottled water, etc, etc). Drinking too much liquid can wash important minerals like potassium and sodium out of your body and cause electrolyte imbalances which can have negative effects. So make sure that you do not ingest more than 2,5 litres of liquid a day.