Question
Posted by: Charlie | 2009/11/11

Ice pick headaches?

I am 24 years old and have this weird sharp stab pain in my head, always from the exact same spot just above my ear that moves down into my neck. It lasts for a couple of seconds only and is followed by the left side of my tongue being paralyzed temporarily, like it is stuck to the bottom of my mouth. Then my head becomes ice-cold where the pain started and after a while starts to tingle and then it just feels like I hit my head against something. This has probably only happened about 8 times in my life but started back in primary school. The most recent attack I had was this weekend and it was so violent it felt like my head was snapped backwards and I literally started crying because it was so painful. Is this something I should be worried about? Someone suggested it might be Ice pick headaches but I am a little confused as nowhere does it mention anything the headaches affecting your tongue?

Expert ImageHeadache expert

Dear Charlie,

Some patients who have migraine have an aura before the pain, in which the tongue is affected, so it is not unknown that the tongue is affected with some headaches. Your symptoms, as you say, do not fit in with the definition of ice-pick headaches, but you may have a weird variety – we are all different, and our bodies react in different ways. If you can pinpoint the area, then it shouldn’t be difficult to administer preventive treatment, so that you don’t have to suffer such a severe headache again.

Headache sufferers often have a poor Quality of Life due to the constant pain and associated symptoms. For a free assessment of how your headaches are affecting your Quality of Life, click on http://www.headacheclinic.co.za/

This information has been supplied and checked by the multidisciplinary team of specialists at The Headache Clinic, in association with The International Headache Society and the South African Institute of Headache and Migraine Science. For consultation with these specialists, call The Headache Clinic on 0861 678 911 (Johannesburg, Cape Town, Durban).

1
Posted by: headache expert | 2009/11/12

Dear Charlie,

Reply to headache expert