Posted by: Zoe | 2010-01-10

IBS - yet again

Hi Doc - Please help
My IBS was diagnosed 22 years ago, at age 30, and Colofac did not help. I' ve tried dieticians, naturopaths and psychotherapy over the years, with limited results. I suffer from migraines more when I am very stressed at work, fatigued and hungry. I usually have a migraine every 2 months, but have had 11 in about 10 weeks lately, as I have been under severe pressure. I' ve been on Effexor XR 75g continuously since Jan 2006, and have used Movicol every day since September 2008, with great success, for IBS-C.

The IBS kicked in rather badly around New Year, after being not bad for about the same length of time I was having so many migraines. I sometimes find that as my anxiety and stress are expressed in one way - and I cannot control which way it will be - so the other ways are not bad. But right now the gas from the IBS (as when it is very bad), is horrific - like bad eggs and bad onions, or like one of the trucks that one overtakes on highways. I am so ashamed of myself and try to keep away from people, for obvious reasons. I spend my time at work trying to stay in my own office (difficult), and do certain tasks early in the day after a bowel movement when there is not as much gas for a couple of hours. While shopping I make sure to move along quickly past other shoppers the minute I feel gas coming. My life is not my own when the IBS is bad because of its revolting odour. The odour is not always this bad, usually when I' m having a bad episode although the episodes can unfortunately last for months.

In 2007 my GP referred me to a gastroenterologist to request a colonoscopy. I was in his office fewer than 15 minutes, and he was more interested in the fact I had not yet had a mammogram at age 50, and indicated he would not be inclined to do a colonoscopy on a person who was using an antidepressant because the medication was known to interfere with the digestive system in any case. I was extremely disappointed.

Please could you offer me some advise? What can I possibly do about this gas, even if I live with the IBS?

Thank you very much for your time.

You will have to consult a gastroenterologist for a colonoscopy. This is very important, as IBS is a diagnosis made by excluding other causes. Ask your GP to refer you to a more sympathic gastroenterologist or abdominal surgeon.

I have no suggestions on how to treat your flatulence. Please refer to the following link:

Ask your doctor to consider Cipramil instead of the Venlor XR. This is very good for the treatment of anxiety and can have a lessor effect on your bowel.