Posted by: Frustrated | 2009-09-03

IBS - What could be the cause?

Hi there,

I suffer from IBS some days nothing and others just terrible that i cannot function. I have had it now everyday since Monday this week and cant figure out what i am doign wrong. I cut out wheat, all starch actually as i thought that was the problem and only eat Low Fat Dairy, Veg, Fruit and Meat/Chicken/Fish - but this doesnt seem to be working. I have very infrequent bowl movement because of the IBS and at a loss right now. I' m not alergic to Wheat i just thought that this was the cause of my IBS and now i can see maybe it wasnt. What do you think i am doing wrong? I am 20kgs overweight, trying to loose weight with an underactive thyroid and have insulin resistance. Excercise is difficult at the moment as i hurt my knee and can only manage walking for half an hour a week. What do you suggest i do?

Dear Frustrated
I can well imagine that you must be feeling so desperate because of all these problems. Because you suffer from multiple conditions, I would strongly urge your to consult a clinical dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area). It is essential that the dietitian works out an individual diet prescription for you that addresses your IBS, insulin resistance and overweight. This is a complex situation that requires a specific diet and coordination with your medical dr which the dietitian will help you with.
So please do this for yourself before your situation spirals out of control.
Holding thumbs for you.