Posted by: Mandy | 2009-04-20

IBS / Ulcers

Just need a second opinion, as i am so lost as to what to do.
From about Dec 2008 just after i relocated to CT, i started waking up about 4am with violent stomach cramps. Then it started happening during the day so i went to my GP who said it was IBS and sent me on my way. It started happening more frequently and now i have had diarrhea for the last month which i was given a antibiotic for, which unfortunately has still hasn' t cured it and an tender and swollen stomach. I have figured out the cramps always happen on a empty stomach, early in the morning or late at night. My GP has suggested going for a scope as it might be intestinal ulcers as my pain is low down and i don' t experience heart burn. I know the process is quiet intrusive and costly so i wanted to know if there is any other way to pick up what is wrong? Please help

Dear Mandy
I would first send your stool to a lab, you may have picked up a parasite (you sometimes get this from salad) like Gardia Lamblia.

Posted by: boo | 2009-04-20

You could have a barium follow-through xray, but the best way to make certain is via a colonoscopy or gastroscopy (I had both when I was first diagnosed with crohns disease). It isn' t a painful procedure, and they sedate you for it, so you won' t be aware of anything happening. You just fart a bit afterward...  ) as for the cost, if you are on a medical aid, then they should pay for it fully if your specialist motivates it. Otherwise, you can always find a specialist who can perform it in their rooms, which is usually cheaper than in a day ward of a hospital.
Good luck!

Reply to boo