Question
Posted by: Patient | 2011/02/21

IBS prescription meds info

Hi doc,

I was diagnosed with IBS 3 years ago when i ended up in hospital after a few morphine shots as my colon went toxic and i was in severe pain.

Recently the IBS has gotten much worse and im in pain with ever bowel movement every 2 or 3 days only. I went to the doc and told him all my symptoms and he prescribed the following - something for heart burn, something for the colon cramps, and also Trepiline. I read up on Trepiline and it says its an anti depressant. Why would he give me that? im not depressed. I stress at work otherwise as happy as Iv ever been. I took 1 at about 6pm and went to bed a few hours later and i was tiered the whole of the next day. I dont want to take it and i dont want to become reliable on antidepressants.

Any other reason why he wouldv gave me this? Do you suggest I keep taking it? I will call him later and tell him this but i just want a second opinion

Hallo Patient
Trepilene is an antidepressant but it also has an effect on nerve pain, like the pain caused by shingles, restless leg syndrome, and irritable bowel syndrome. They think it is because it modify the way the pain impulses are carried to the brain. It is a well known and effective treatment for IBS and you can continue taking it. It may make you sleepy, so take it early in the evening so that you don't feel groggy the next day. If you are constipated, it can aggravate it slightly so take a stool softener like Lactulose syrup or Fybogel orange every evening.

3
Posted by: Clara | 2011/02/21

Hi Patient

A doctor once prescribed me Librax. It''s for IBS specifically. It really worked. But you do need a prescription. Go read about it and see if this is what you would be comfortable with.

Reply to Clara
Posted by: Patient | 2011/02/21

I forgot to mention I am gluten intolerant, so i cant eat many fibers ect, i cant completely cut gluten out as it is in everything but i try to out of 80% of everything i consume.

Reply to Patient
Posted by: Cyberdoc | 2011/02/21

Hallo Patient