Posted by: Sarah | 2009-03-05

IBS, limited diet.

Hi, I was recently diagnosed as having IBS. I have consulted a dietician, &  am currently on a very restricted diet, in order to see what I am sensitive to. I feel awful. I have headaches &  am exausted almost constantly. Apparently I am " detox' ing" . Exactly what does that mean? What toxins are we talking about here, and where exactly in my body were they stored? I am having a hard time wrapping my mind around these " toxins"  being removed from my system by eating oats and rye crackers. Seriously, is this an actual condition?

Dear Sarah
I think that your dietitian just meant that your body may react to this restrictive diet with some of the symptoms you list. The restrictive diet is necessary to determine which foods you react to and possibly to 'rest' your bowel. I would recommend that you contact your dietitian and tell her that you are so tired because you may need to increase your energy intake using the permitted foods or take a liquid diet supplement that does not contain any of the prohibited foods. Mention your doubts about the 'toxins' and that you are well informed about health and it is not necessary to use general terms to explain what is happening to you and that you would like a more specific explanation.
I hope you soon feel much better