IBS -its effecting my life

Hi Dr

I need help or advice please

I am 26 and have IBS/spastic colon. I have had it eversince I can remember even as a little girl.

In Feb this year my Dr suggested Librax (2 in the evening) which worked wonders but it is very expensive (+/- R8 per tablet) and it made me extremely tired because of the Lithium in it. And still I had bad days where I was in a lot of pain

I then told my doc and he moved me over to Millerspas (at 10c a tablet a bargain) 3 times a day. It does not seem to be working as well as the Librax but I am not so tired.

My problem is, I am in almost contant pain, and it really makes me a grouch to be around. Sometimes I cant walk up straight from the cramp and pains.

I have adjusted my diet (before even going on the meds), so I dont eat gas producing foods. Well I try hard.

I think it is stress related. We are going through finacial stress at the moment, same as everybody, and it seems to be worse now that ever even with the meds and my diet.

Please help, I cannot go to the dr again - my medical aid is depleted and I cannot stay off work for this, but its affecting my life (social and quality time I can spend with my 2 kiddies)

Dear Anonymous
Try to add probiotics three times a day or eat yogurt with live culture. Avoid very coarse fibre foods, go for soluble fibre (apple without peel for instance), try a heat pack on your tummy when it is very painful. Some people are also sensitive to wheat and lactose (in milk) so see if you cut down on these if it is better - you can eat rice, potatoes, mealie meal products, sweet potato instead. Try soya milk, cheese you can eat as it contains more casein than lactose. The Yogurt - although it contains lactose the cultures are good for you - you will have to decide whether it is good or bad for you after trying it - it is cheaper than buying probiotics.