Posted by: martini girl | 2008-11-24

IBS is ruining my life

I have been trying to cope with IBS for the last 12 years. I have cut out a lot of foods and drinks, been under a dietician which I feel made me worse. I feel like giving up. My diet is very poor, I have been tested for gluten that has come back clear. I went for a test with holland &  barret, they told me to stop, lemon, orange, milk
potatoes, tomatoes, cucumber, cola, anything containing caffeine,
any citrus fruits, citric acid, cheese, chocolate. I take very little wheat. I am now convinced I have a problem with corn, but it is in so many foods. I just want my life back. Can you help please.

Dear Martini Girl
I surmise that you live in the UK, so I am not sure what procedures are followed in the UK when it comes to treating IBS. In South Africa, I would recommend that you see a physician who specialises in gastroenterology to assist you with the correct treatment in the form of antispasmodics, etc. In addition it may be a good idea to keep a food diary and write down what you eat and any symptoms you suffer and to then cut out the offending foods. Probiotics ('good microorganisms' which you can buy at health shops in SA - not sure where you buy them in the UK) can help a great deal to normalise bowel health. Click on 'Diet' at the top of this page and then on 'DietDoc's articles' and read Articles 123 and 124 about healthy colon practices and what to eat to keep your colon healthy. I sincerely hope that you have a system in the UK that will get you to a gastroenterologist for the correct medical treatment and that you can buy probiotics over the counter.
Holding thumbs that your IBS improves.