Posted by: Bert | 2008-11-19

IBS - is irritable bladder related

Hi - wanted to know if the above are related. Am suffering from ibs at the moment but also have excessive need to urinate - much more than usual. Sometimes when I go to the loo I' m not sure which I need ! Usually after urinating the abdominal discomfort resolves. I' m on meds fro the ibs which is improving but bowel movements still a little strained and sometimes a little blood - only when I strain (Specialist did full blood tests and specimens and all came back fine) - would the blood be from straining itself and will something like Movicol ease this ?

Hallo Bert,
It may be related - both are regarded as neurofunctional disorders. If the blood is just when you wipe, it may be due to a hemorroid or a small tear. Movicol may help to soften the stool. I think you have to have your urine tested, you may have a slight urine tract infection.