Question
Posted by: karien | 2011/11/30

ibs help!!

what is the best way to improve constipation in ibs? Everyone seems to say something different. Some say increase soluble fibres only and other say increase insoluble fibres?? I have tried both and it does not seem to make much of a difference either way.I exercise regularly and I drink lots of water. I would appreciate your opinion.

Dear Karien
IBS is really a problem because it can manifest in different ways (either with constipation or diarrhoea) and each patient can have an individual reaction. In general most IBS patients with constipation, can achieve considerable relief of their symptoms and regularity by increasing their intake of insoluble dietary fibre (which is found in high-fibre cereals, breads, etc). However, some of these patients have a negative reaction to insoluble fibre which then tends to worsen their symptoms like pain and flatulence. Such patients then need to treat their constipation with soluble dietary fibre (which is found in oats, fruits and vegetables). I trust that you are being treated for your IBS by a gastroenterologist? If not, then it may be a good idea to consult such a specialist because there are a number of medications that can be prescribed that assist in improving the symptoms. You can also try using probiotics ("good microorganisms") such as Bifidoflora which you can buy at health shops. Bifidoflora is specifically recommended for the treatment of disorders of the colon (large intestine), including IBS. A gentle laxative such as Fybogel which is available at pharmacies, can also be used if you suffer from severe constipation.

1

Dear Karien