Question
Posted by: jc | 2009/02/05

IBS and probiflora 4 strain

I have irritable bowl syndrome, I think.
Symptoms are constipation, bloating, gas - burping a lot.
It' s not always present, normally my bowels function ok, but recently the symptoms have returned. I' ve started taking psyllium husk powder with water, an hour before breakfast / dinner and ProbiFlora 4 strain with my breakfast / dinner.

Am I doing the right thing?

I had no idea what probiotics to take, or even if I should take probiotics. I took the 4 strain cause it was a bit cheaper... It contains Lactococcus lactis, Lactobacillus casei, Lactobacillus heveticus and Bifidobacterium bifdum....

Expert ImageProbiotics expert

Hi JC
Perhaps you should consult your Dr first and try to get an accurate diagnosis.
If you do have IBS probiotics can assist. I suggest that you try Lp299v or REUTERI.
Whilst psyllium husk is good for constipation using too much can cause bloating so it is important to get the right balance.
You are definitely on the right track, but it is best to get a check up so that you really know how best to manage the problem. Perhaps it only occurs when you are more stressed or tired than normal and “non – medical” approaches are the answer.

1
Posted by: MARIAAN | 2009/02/14

EK HET ULSERATIEWE KOLITIS. WAT MAG EK EET EN WAT MOET
EK VERMY? SAL PROBIOTIKA HELP? EK IS NOU BESIG MET ' N
KURSUS KORTISOON. EK GEBRUIK OOK PENTASA EN ASACOL.
45 JAAR OUD.

Reply to MARIAAN