Question
Posted by: Angela | 2012/07/25

IBS and Barley grass powder

Hi Doc,

My husband suffers from IBS. It is sometimes incredibly painful.
Can he take Barley grass powder for this condition? Will it help?

Dear Angela
I am sorry to hear that your husband suffers from IBS and that his condition is often so painful. I cannot give an opinion on barley grass powder as a treatment for IBS as I have not read any scientific papers on such usage. Two of the most important factors in IBS are a lack of dietary fibre and stress. To increase your hubby’s dietary fibre intake and obtain tips about this condition, click on ‘Diet & Nutrition’ at the top of this page, ‘You are what you eat’ and “Healthy GI tract’. Read the articles on ‘Probiotics’ too because the use of ‘good microorganisms’ can help a lot in IBS. He can try Bifidoflora which you can buy at health shops. If he suffers from flatulence and bloating, he will have to experiment with the foods he eats that may cause problems with a spastic colon (raw onions, garlic, cucumber, green peppers, very spicy foods and condiments, gas-cold drinks, fruits that contain pips such as guavas, figs, etc). This is often an individual reaction and he will have to keep a food diary to see what foods cause this problem and then cut them out. If he finds that this is a problem for him, please consult a registered dietitian who will work out a specific diet for his condition. (Visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area). His doctor will also be able to prescribe medicines which can relieve the flatulence such as Bevispas, so he should chat to his doctor about such medications.
To relieve stress I would recommend that your husband should learn relaxing techniques, how to do deep breathing exercises and some form of physical exercise which is also relaxing, such as yoga. Going for brisk walks in the fresh air also helps to relieve tension.

1

Dear Angela