Question
Posted by: Annelise | 2010-10-19

IBS &  IR &  Diet

Good day,

I was diagnosed as being insulin resistant some years ago and was told that by losing weight and following a low GI diet, this could be corrected. I have since lost about 17 kgs and although my insulin levels have not been re-tested, i suspect i now have the IR under control as i have none of the signs or symptoms i had previously experienced. I am still avoiding sugar where possible and only drink sugar free drinks and fat free milks etc but am no longer following the Low Gi diet. I have however been struggling for years and have now been officially diagnosed with IBS. I am currently on medication for this which helps tremendously, but have heard that diet also plays quite a big roll in IBS symptoms. I know my trigger foods are All-bran, garlic and spirit alcohol mostly and try to avoid these whenever possible. I was however wondering if there are any specific foods that would help or hinder my IBS symptoms and if i should continue with the low GI diet or if i should switch over to something more appropriate for my IBS. I''m also trying to lose my last 7 kg''s and am still exercising but have heard that " green"  foods like lettuce, peas etc could also cause bloating as it irritates the colon. Which means that salad and some veggies are no-no''s? In which case what CAN / SHOULD I be eating to assist my weight loss while not aggravating my IBS symptoms?
Thank you!

Dear Annelise
Congratulations on losing those 17 kg - you are a bright ***star***! I am so glad to hear that you have such excellent control over your insulin resistance (IR). Well done! The problem with diets for IBS, is that each patient reacts individually to certain foods - some patients develop symptoms when they eat white bread, others when they eat wholewheat bread. You will have to experiment with the foods you eat that may cause problems with a spastic colon (raw onions, garlic, cucumber, green peppers, very spicy foods and condiments, gas-cold drinks, fruits that contain pips such as guavas, figs, etc). This is often an individual reaction and you will have to keep a food diary to see what foods cause this problem and then cut them out. If you find that this is a problem for you, especially because it would be most desirable for you to continue to eat a basic low-GI diet and to lose those last 7 kg, then please consult a clinical dietitian who will work out a specific diet for your condition. (Visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area). Did the dr prescribe probiotics for your IBS? If not then please consider taking 'good microorganisms' like Bifidoflora, which you can buy at health shops, on a daily basis to assist the function of your colon. You can read up about probiotics on the Diet site by clicking on 'Food as medicine' and 'Healthy colon'. One other aspect of IBS, is stress. To relieve stress I would recommend that you should learn relaxing techniques, how to do deep breathing exercises and some form of physical exercise which is also relaxing, such as yoga. Going for brisk walks in the fresh air also helps to relieve tension and it will promote additional weightloss.

2
Posted by: Annelise | 2010-10-21

Thanks so much for the encouragement as well as your comprehensive response!! :) I will keep an eye on my " trigger foods"  and if i still struggle i might decided to return to the dietitian which helped me with the Low GI Diet... I am indeed on Probiotics (LP299V) as well as Librax, Coloflax and Nexiam but I also noticed that my IBS is HUGELY stress-related. I have thus started exercising a lot more and have started trying out Yoga which has had a profound effect on my general state of well-being!! Thank you for all the info and suggestions, I will certainly be able to put all these to excellent use!!

Reply to Annelise
Posted by: DietDoc | 2010-10-19

Dear Annelise