Question
Posted by: MB | 2010/03/11

IBS &  hyperinsulinemia

I''ve recently been diagnosed with 2 hereditory conditions - IBS &  hyperinsulinemia. I''m also a vegan with allergies (also inherited since childhood) (gluten ,fungi, refined suger, yeast, dairy &  eggs) &  find it very hard to manage all these conditions effectively as far as diet is concerned.
I take Librax for the IBS &  my GP recommended treating the hyperinsulinemia with diet.
Because of the IBS, eating fruit is painful. Because of the allergies &  IBS combined, eating low GI food is also not easy as all whole wheats cause my IBS to flair up. Because of the constant abdominal pain, I''ve started skipping meals, fearing another IBS flair-up, which in turn is affecting my already low blood suger levels.
Any advise will be appreciated!

Dear MB
In view of your highly complicated conditions and allergies, it is imperative that you consult a clinical dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area). The dietitian will have to evaluate what you are eating at present and what foods you can eat and then work out an individual diet prescription for you that takes your IBS, hyperinsulinaemia, multiple allergies and vegan diet into account. This is not something that I can do for your over the Internet. Seeing a dietitian is becoming vital otherwise you may develop serious deficiencies if you are starting to skip meals.
So please see a dietitian ASAP

1

Dear MB
So please see a dietitian ASAP