Question
Posted by: Cheri | 2008-12-03

IBS &  Anal Fissures - Operation?

I have been struggling with IBS and chronic constipation for most of my life..I have also had an anal fissure at the age of 14, and now this year, after following the Patrick Holford Diet phase 2 I have developed my first of many fissures. I ended up in Hospital, after the first episode this year where I had become so constipated from the diet that I took Brooklax. It did not work and I took 3 doses. Still didn' t work and I performed a home-made enema. Well to say the least I was rushed to the ER, and was kept in hospital for 2 days, for pain treatment and also to monitor me after my " overdose" . Eversince that I have been in constant pain, where I develop a new fissure, it heals and a week later I have another one. I have tried everything, I' m even seeing a dietician and following a special diet specifically to get my stools softer. Even so, after a Sunday lunch or a big lunch, I am constipated and develop another fissure. The pain is becoming unbearable and I feel like dying would be easier than this worry of having pain whenever I need to go, or being in extreme pain afterwards. Yesterday I felt like fainting from the pain, and I went to see my GP, who gave me a Pain Injection (on my demand) and gave me long lecture on that I need to undergo a colon ditalation (is it spelled right?). I did undergo this same operation when I was 14 years old and I thought that I was gonna die. I' m terrified. I can' t undergo the OP this year, as I can' t get sick leave from work and my medical aid is retired. If i need to do this I will go in January. What are your suggestions? Do I really need this operation? I' m so scared of incontinence that I will rather have pain!

Please help me I' m so terrified!

Hallo Cheri
Get yourself some Lactulose syrup and take 15-20 ml every night. for acute constipation you can take 30 ml every 6 hours. Please avoid pain injections or anything with codeine in it - it causes constipation!
Alternatives:
Nitroglycerin or nifedipine paste might be prescribed to apply around the anus a few times a day. The paste relieves pressure in tissue around the fissure and increases blood flow to promote healing. Temporary headaches or light-headedness from the paste are possible side effects. Botox injections into the internal sphincter muscle relaxes the anus and reduces spasms. The long-term effectiveness of this new treatment is still being studied.
Ask your doctor about this - there may be surgeons in your area that can do this?

2
Posted by: Oloe | 2008-12-03

To keep me soft. I use " Aloe Laxative"  buy it at Clicks.
Natrual product. It keep me soft. Was order from Dr to keep it soft.
Specially when on diet it wants to become hard.

Reply to Oloe
Posted by: Jane | 2008-12-03

Hi Cheri,

Am not sure what anal fissures is?

I have also had so many bowel problems and operations since May last year - can understand exactly how you feel.

Have you tried Prune Juice? R8.99 from Spar, etc. Drink the whole bottle (small bottle), I drink 2x bottles a week.

Also try Milk of Magnesia. Maybe start off with 30ml and then take 10 - 15 ml a night until you feel better.

I hope this helps, as it certainly helps me...

Reply to Jane