Question
Posted by: Marita | 2012-08-13

IBS

I was diagnosed with IBS a week ago, and is still a bit unsure of what to eat and what to cut out. I know already from experience that all wholewheat breads, peas, beans, cauliflower, onions, lettuce etc causes a lot of discomfort. Is it okay to eat Rye bread, or will that also have the same effect? Any other ideas for a light lunch, as I used to always take a sandwich to work for lunch.

Dear Marita
Two of the most important factors in IBS are a lack of dietary fibre and stress. To obtain tips about this condition, click on ‘Diet & Nutrition’ at the top of this page, ‘You are what you eat’ and “Healthy GI tract’. In your cases, I would recommend that you rather use soluble dietary fibre to ensure regularity, because you mention that wholewheat gives you symptoms. Soluble dietary fibre is found in oats, fruit and vegetables (insoluble dietary fibre is found in wholewheat products). Read the articles on ‘Probiotics’ too because the use of ‘good microorganisms’ can help a lot in IBS. Try Bifidoflora which you can buy at health shops. If you still suffer from flatulence and bloating after removing the foods that cause you distress then you will have to experiment with the other foods you eat that may cause problems with a spastic colon (raw onions, garlic, cucumber, green peppers, very spicy foods and condiments, gas-cold drinks, fruits that contain pips such as guavas, figs, etc). This is often an individual reaction and you will have to keep a food diary to see what foods cause bloating and pain, and then cut them out. If you find that this is a problem for you, please consult a registered dietitian who will work out a specific diet for your condition. (Visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area). Your doctor will also be able to prescribe medicines which can relieve the flatulence such as Bevispas, so chat to your doctor about such medications.
To relieve stress I would recommend that you should learn relaxing techniques, how to do deep breathing exercises and some form of physical exercise which is also relaxing, such as yoga. Going for brisk walks in the fresh air also helps to relieve tension.
As regards rye bread you will have to experiment as described above as no one can predict which foods you will react to - it is a question of trial and error. You may find that you need to eat meat, fish, or egg with cooked vegetables for lunch instead of breads.

1
Posted by: DietDoc | 2012-08-14

Dear Marita