Question
Posted by: pp | 2011/02/08

IBS

I have today been diagnosed , after a Colonoscopy, to have IBS. I have been given a diet which is, apart from maybe a treat once a week, is exactly as I eat..The only thing is that the portions are a lot bigger so I''m not sure if its a guide for men as well as women..I cannot eat 2 wholewheat sandwiches filled with salad for lunch!!!
I have a big salad with 3 pro vita for lunch. Which is more than enough! Basically I have 1 wheat bix for breakfast, Big salad and pro vita''s for lunch, Meat, small starch and 3 veg for supper. Then fruit and yogurt before I go to bed. Any suggestions on a change. Could it be quantities? Thanks you pp

Dear PP
You don't mention who has prescribed this IBS diet, a registered dietitian or a medical doctor? My general recommendations for patients with IBS are as follows: Two of the most important factors in IBS are a lack of dietary fibre and stress. To increase your dietary fibre intake and obtain tips about this condition, click on ‘Diet’, ‘You are what you eat’ and “Healthy GI tract’, paying special attention to the use of probiotics (beneficial microorganisms). If you suffer from flatulence and bloating, you will have to experiment with the foods you eat that may cause problems with a spastic colon (raw onions, garlic, cucumber, green peppers, very spicy foods and condiments, gas-cold drinks, fruits that contain pips such as guavas, figs, etc). This is often an individual reaction and you will have to keep a food diary to see what foods cause this problem and then cut them out. If you find that this is a problem for you, please consult a clinical dietitian who will work out a specific diet for your condition. (Visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area). I trust that your doctor did prescribe medicines which can relieve the flatulence such as Bevispas?
To relieve stress I would recommend that you should learn relaxing techniques, how to do deep breathing exercises and some form of physical exercise which is also relaxing, such as yoga. Going for brisk walks in the fresh air also helps to relieve tension.
If you find that the portions suggested in the diet you were given are too large, then adjust them to your appetite. But when in doubt, please do see a registered dietitian.

1

Dear PP