Question
Posted by: Lynn | 2010/01/07

IBS?

Dear Dr Bets,
Compliments of the season to you. Im wondering if you can help me. For a couple of weeks now Ive had the following symptoms: Stomach cramps, bloating, either runny stomach or constipation, it varies. People are telling me that it could be IBS, but am not sure. Any suggestions.

Hallo Lynn
IBS is a diagnosis you make after you excluded all other possible causes. The most common thing to exlude are parasitic gastro enteritis ( often we pick up parasites like Gardia on lettuce or spinach in restaurants). I suggest that you send a 5 ml sample of stool into the lab for Microscopy, culture and sensitivity to look for germs or parasites. If clean, you should see a gastroenterologist for further examinations to look for inflammatory bowel disease. In the mean time, use Fybogel orange 1 sachet at night and take probiotics 3 times per day.

2
Posted by: Micky B | 2010/01/07

I have just be diagnose with IBS myself - every female in my family has it, so it was only a matter of time before I was diagnosed.
The symptons you' re describing is classical IBS, had them all myself too. It could also be a food sensitivity, like gluten intolerance.
Get to your GP &  have it checked out. I' ve been on IBS medication since 04-Jan &  I can' t explain to you how much better I feel without the cramping &  bloating &  it' s only been 3 days. There' s a wonderful pill on the market - Gastro Choice IBS (there are 2 types of this medicine, so ask specifically for the IBS one). It worked wonders.
Seriously, have it checked out by your GP. You needn' t live in pain &  discomfort. Life' s too short not to feel good all the time.

Reply to Micky B
Posted by: cyberdoc | 2010/01/07

Hallo Lynn

Reply to cyberdoc