Posted by: Sweetpea | 2009-05-14

Hi, My IBS just seems to be at such a peak lately and I am feeling more and more embarresed and scared to partake in activities because of the bloating and flatulance. Please can you recommend a good probiotic that isnt expensive. I am so tired of it being this bad.

Dear Sweetpea
I trust that you are also receiving medical treatment for your IBS and that you have consulted a clinical dietitian for an individual diet prescription? if not, please do so. See a physician to provide your with medications to control the IBS and its symptoms and do visit a dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area) for help with your diet. I would recommend that you use Bifidoflora as a probiotic which you can buy at health shops or from the dietitian. Two of the most important factors in IBS are a lack of dietary fibre and stress. To increase your dietary fibre intake and obtain tips about this condition, click on ‘Diet’, ‘You are what you eat’ and “Healthy GI tract’. If you suffer from flatulence and bloating, you will have to experiment with the foods you eat that may cause problems with a spastic colon (raw onions, garlic, cucumber, green peppers, very spicy foods and condiments, gas-cold drinks, fruits that contain pips such as guavas, figs, etc). This is often an individual reaction and you will have to keep a food diary to see what foods cause this problem and then cut them out. If you find that this is a problem for you, the dietitian will help you sort this out.
To relieve stress I would recommend that you should learn relaxing techniques, how to do deep breathing exercises and some form of physical exercise which is also relaxing, such as yoga. Going for brisk walks in the fresh air also helps to relieve tension.