Posted by: shells | 2009-02-09

I' ve hit a plateau

I am a 27 year old female and i am on eltroxin (thyroid meds for underactive thyroid) I currenly weigh 67.5kgs and i am 5 foot 2 inches tall.

I have been on a diet and exercise routine since September last year (I weighed 76kgs then) and although I have lost weight I am not budging from this 67.5kg mark - Ive been here for 2 months now!

I need to lose about 5kgs before July (I am getting married then)

My eating plan is as follows :
Breakfast : 1 cup bran flakes with a little 2% milk and 1 small tub vitalinea yoghurt (fat free)

Snack : Apple or tomato lite cup a soup

Lunch : 2 slices whole wheat bread with 1t no oil mayonnaise and cucumber
OR 2 slices whole wheat bread with 1t no oil mayonnaise Tuna (70g) and salad
OR 2 slices whole wheat bread with 1t no oil mayonnaise chicken breast (70g) and salad
OR 70g cooked pasta and curried veg (carrot, tomato, onion, peppers and baby marrow dry fried)

Supper: Light crumbed chicken fillet / Fish fillet / and 1 cup mixed vegetables / salad with 1t low oil dressing.
OR 1 cup cooked chicken breast dry fried with lemon onion and peppers served with 1 cup pasta.
OR (My favorite!) A small roti with 1/2 cup cooked chicken breast dry fried with lemon, raw onion, raw tomato and shredded lettuce, 1t low oil dressing and 1t jalepeno sauce

Dessert (Not every night - only if I really feel like it!): 2t light hot chocolate with half cup of 2% milk and half water (no sugar) OR 2 small blocks of chocolate from a slab

I drink coffee 3 times per day - no sugar and about 2.5L water per day

Work out : 30 minutes cardio (1 day Jogging next day orbitrek - I train hard enough that I can just bearly hold a conversation)
Free weights bicep curls and tricep extensions (2 sets of 12)
Leg lifts 2 x 25 per leg
100 crunches
100 pelvic tilts (not sure what its called - you lie on your back with legs bent and lift your bum off the floor)?

I do this 5 days per week rest days being Friday and Saturday or Friday and Sunday, on the one day I do work out on the weekend I push my cardio up to an hour and skip the toming exercises.

Sometimes on the weekend I cheat a little - I might have 1 cup of dep fried chips instead of salad with my meal but then I skip my dessert and I might have 1 or 2 glasses of wine or tab and a shot. But never more than 2

Is my eating plan okay? Is my work out plan okay? What can I do to see a change on the scale - I really want to lose at least 5kgs by July!

Dear Shells
The diet and exercise routine you describe should certainly cause weightloss and you have already achieved a considerable reduction of 8,5 kg. The fact that you have reached a plateau for 2 months is strange and it may be caused by other factors which are not diet-related (e.g. use of any new medications, increase in stress, etc). I can only suggest that you have a medical checkup to see if you are perhaps insulin resistant and if so, start using a low glycaemic index (GI) diet. It is essential for anyone with insulin resistance (IR) to consult a clinical dietitian, because the correct diet is one of the most important factors in treatment. Visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area. The dietitian will take your IR and other conditions such as overweight, into account when working out a diet for you, which will be based on foods with a low glycaemic index (GI). Click on 'Diet' and 'Weight loss' and 'The Glycaemic Index' and read the articles on the GI.
Keep up the good work with the exercise because aerobic or cardio exercise is an important factor in the control of insulin resistance.
I do hope you lose those extra 5 kg and have a wonderful wedding day