Question
Posted by: N | 2009-04-09

i' ve been ROBBED by an unknown person!!!

I' m SO angry right now - someone stole some money that was in my deskdrawer at work! yes yes, i know i should never have left it there in the first place, but how do I handle this situation now that it HAS happened? Do I go to the manager? But what do I say to her? " I left a substantial amount of money in my drawer, and now it' s gone"  The thing is, I have my suspicions who the thief was, but I' ve got NOT evidence! And I really really really needed that money to stay with ME not go to someone else.
I' m mostly SO angry at myself for trusting the people I work with / not thinking!!

Why not go to the manager and say exactly that ? Yes, one should nopt leave money in the drawer, but you should also be able to expect your colleagues to be honest. Would it be possible to discretely speak to the suspect ( it had to be someone who knew you had the money with you and knew you'd put it in the drawer or saw you put it there ) --- and ask them to arrange for "whoever took it" to return it discretely, to prevent further problems in the office. Report it to the manager as this person, whoever it is, could take other things, and may already have done so. And I agre with other readers, if it is a substantial amount of money DO call the police and open a case file. The thief among you does not have the right to get away without even worrying about being caught

8
Posted by: karma | 2009-04-11

Why are you afraid to tell your superiors about it. If it happened to me the whole COMPANY would have heard about it. It was negligent of you to leave a substantial amount of money in a drawer (if it was unlocked) - in this day and age one can' t trust ANYONE!!! Sadly this is how the world has become. Well worse here in SA>  I know someone who left a wallet on a train in Tokyo and it was returned everything in it! I also know a woman who left her handbag on a boat trip in Scotland, she got the whole thing back untouched!

You do need to report it to the Police and tell your Manager - does your company have cameras? CCTV? If so perhaps they can check and see who came to your drawer? Our company has CCTV cameras all over the place so one can always check, this is for security reasons!

Sorry about your loss - you never expected someone to take it! You obviously trusted your colleagues but sorry to say, hopefully this will teach you an important lesson in life. Never trust anyone and do take care of large amounts of cash!

Reply to karma
Posted by: Vis | 2009-04-09

If its a substantial amount I would get the police in there, and find the person who took it !!!!!!!!!!!!!
I have had a similar experience before, and it makes my blood boil, that people can just take things that don' t belong to them, and feel no remorse!!!

Reply to Vis
Posted by: Just M | 2009-04-09

I would report it to the police and make sure everyone at work knows that I have reported it. Make up some story about the cops who will be in to interview suspects.
Hopefully your money will miraculously find its way back into your drawer.

Also, leave a scrap of paper on your desk with the written case number.

Reply to Just M
Posted by: Kelly | 2009-04-09

You have you suspicions right, wrong.
Never assume because believe me it is never the person you expect but the one you least expect.That is always the case.
So please get those suspicions out of your head.
It feels terrible iI know and only after the faxt do you realise that you have been way too trusting.
You should report it for sure, to manager anyone, make everyone aware that there is a thief among you so that this dsnt happen to anyone else.

Reply to Kelly
Posted by: N | 2009-04-09

xxx, but to whom??? and what use would it be?

Reply to N
Posted by: N | 2009-04-09

yes, but it turns WAY too slowly for my taste...

Reply to N
Posted by: XXX | 2009-04-09

I understand your anger and let' s be honest,your stupidity.I do think though that you should report the matter.

Reply to XXX
Posted by: Kel | 2009-04-09

Not much you can do at this stage! its over and done with and you will never really know who took the money. Dont worry, the wheel turns.........

Reply to Kel