Question
Posted by: Morgz | 2009-08-28

I' m NO donkey

I am not a beast of burden, yet have saddle bags to suggest otherwise. I am 24 and am considering surgery to remove them. Is this too drastic a step? What can I do to reduce them? I exercise 3 time per week, but am not the healthy eater.

Dear Mogrz
Of course you are not a donkey, but you are probably female, which would account for the tendency to deposit extra weight on your hips/thighs. If you are generally overweight, then it would help to lose weight all round by using an energy-reduced, low-fat, high-fibre diet (click on 'Diet' at the top of this page, 'Weight loss', ‘Balanced diet’ and then on 'Slimming Diet' for a copy of such a diet), and combining this diet with cardio exercise (running, jogging, skipping, cycling, swimming, join a gym or Walk for Life - 30 min a day to promote general weightloss) plus targeted exercises such as thigh and hip rolls. If this regimen does not shift the saddle bags in approx. 3 months, then they may be genetic and surgery (i.e. liposuction) may be the only answer. But give the diet and exercise a try first before you have an invasive procedure.