Question
Posted by: Mariann | 2009-10-06

I' m 60 and my top lip is getting longer

I am 60 years old and as with all older people I noticed that my face was looking longer and the big problem was my top lip or actually the area betwwen my nose and my top lip.

What are my options?

Expert ImageAnti-ageing expert

Hi Mariann, thank you for the question.

Your best approach would be to consult a plastic surgeon who can examine the area and advise you on the best treatment options (surgically). Another consideration is fractional ablative treatments, such as Fraxel or Syneron’s Matrix RF (laser or bi-polar radiofrequency respectively) that may tighten the skin and produce some shortening of the upper lip area.

As we age a number of changes take place including the ‘elongation’ of one’s skin, and muscles as well as the loss of supporting fat pockets. Often by improving the condition of the skin (and tightening and lifting it to a degree) with the use of fractional technologies, combined with replacing the fat pockets with the use of fillers providing a more youthful shape and increasing support; one can reduce the ‘elongation’ effect of the whole face dramatically.