Posted by: Nicci | 2009-06-01

I would like to make my own yoghurt

I would like to make my own yoghurt at home and benefit from all the good, fresh probiotics... I just cant seem to find a yoghurt maker! Can you point me in the right direction? Many thanks!

Dear Nicci
I always used to make my own yoghurt as follows: buy milk from a farm if possible and plain Bulgarian or Greek yoghurt that does not contain any antibiotics. Heat 1 litre of milk to blood temperature (lukewarm) and stir in 1/2 cup of the Bulgarian/Greek yoghurt. Transfer the lukewarm mixture into a thermos flask and leave overnight. The thermos keep the milk slightly warm so that the "good microorganisms" can ferment it to yoghurt. The next day remove your yoghurt from the thermos and enjoy (keep 1/2 cup to start the next batch in a clean thermos).
I would ask at your nearest health shop or some of the large pharmacy chains like Dis-Chem for yoghurt makers if you prefer the other method. You may also find organisations that sell yoghurt makers on the Internet. Do a Google Search using “Making yoghurt” or “Home-made yoghurt” or “Yoghurt plant” on the SA Internet.
Enjoy your yoghurt