Question
Posted by: J | 2008-11-18

I want to " live"  life

I am a 44 year old woman. II suffered from panic attacks/agoraphobia for the last 18 years. I eventually found great meds, and I' m basically back to " normal"  again, living a full life. In September I went overseas for the first time in my life. A HUGE step for me. I coped amazingly My mom and I went on a 16 day tour of Europe together and it was fantastic. I did things I never thought I would manage. I have now been offered a job in a foreign country. The salary and benefits are awesome, and it will help us out financially. My husband is totally supportive of me going, as it will only be for a few months. Now, this is my problem...I REALLY want to go, but I' ve booked and cancelled four times, today being the 4th time! Each time I get to the airport my fear overwhelms me, and I back out. In my entire life I have never lived on my own  I have depended on my family for 18 years because of my illness...basically I am terrified of being alone. I so desperately want to go, but I cannot overcome this hurdle. The thought of flying alone (although I was fine with my mom) and living in a foreign country is so scary. I really want to live my life again, and this is an amazing opportunity. What is wrong with me??? Hope you have some advice for me. Thanks.

OK --- firstly, congratulations on how well you have overcome so many different problems to get such a great opportunity. Now, you seem to be temporarily stymied at the last step by a form of flying phobia. Fortunately this responds excellently to treatment with Cognitive-Behaviour Therapy ( CBT ) perhaps combined with some meds also used for Depression. If part of your fear is of being alone for a time in the foreign country, is there anyone from your family who could go with you for that time ?