Question
Posted by: Lettah | 2011-02-23

I want to quit my job

I am so desperately looking for a job and I am in a state where I want to resign before I get anything. I have applied to a lot of places and I get a lot of interviews of which some they like me a lot but they cannot match my salary. My current job pays far more than the market related. I am in a very junior position as admin and earn R25 000 a month but I am not happy at all. I want to resign and start looking atleast there I will know I do not have any salary to compete with. Some companies if I agree to accept a lower offer they sort of question my intentions. Can somebody please advice I AM REALLY NOT HAPPY AND DESPERATE TO WALK AWAY

If you are finding it so hard to find a beter job ( as it sounds ) while you at least have some stability and income while in the present job - would it be any easier to find a better job when unemployed ? If you're getting a more than market-related salary, that's good money-wise and as you have found, many other businesses which would love to have you work for them, will not be able to afford that.

23
Posted by: BulletWithButterflyWings | 2011-02-25

Bide your time look around for another job, go for a few interviews once you get an offer leave.

Reply to BulletWithButterflyWings
Posted by: Cuttie | 2011-02-23

Nope, I am not angry. YOU are angry, unhappy and desperate.
You should be counting your blessings. There are thousands of people in South Africa and the rest of the world without jobs and houses and transport and food and blankets and running water and everything else.
You should be ashamed of yourself !! Bragging about earning R25000 for doing close to nothing and then complaining that you are unhappy...
Why do you not take some of that money, make some food once a week (or more) and go and feed the street children? This should make you appreciate your job more. I spend at least R1000 per week feeding the hungry. Ift fulfills me and makes me appreciate what I have.
You did not ask to be AA???? Do you think those beautifull, hungry children asked to be born?
Opening your eyes to the horrible injustices of this world will make you appreciate what you have. Thank God for the privelidge of having a job and what goes with it. And oh.... change your attitude.

Reply to Cuttie | 1 comment (hide)
Posted by: Shinestar | 2014-12-01

Gee whizz Cuttie, I do not think the person is doing nothing, who gave you that intention? Earning any amount of money cannot match job satisfaction. Honestly I would do anything to earn R25000-00 at this stage, but if you are unhappy, no amount of salary will make up for it!

Posted by: Lettah | 2011-02-23

If you can read my post I did not complain about my salary and I am not complaining about my admin you are not helping that is why I say you are angry and taking it out on me I did not ask to be AA

Reply to Lettah
Posted by: Cutie | 2011-02-23

BRAVO TOTAL TRUTH!!!!

You nailed it, brilliant post !!

Reply to Cutie
Posted by: TOTAL TRUTH | 2011-02-23

l think in this economic climate u are being very unkind and insensitive complaining about an admin job that pays R25000.
Nobody is taking it out on you, this is a problem many would love to have.
You cannot expect in all seriousness to recieve much sympathy.
If you want to quit your job do so. To be able to walk away from such a salary means you do not have a problem worth discussion here.

Reply to TOTAL TRUTH
Posted by: Lettah | 2011-02-23

This is got nothing to do with AA positions please and I did not complain about my salary. Someone is just angry here and that person is taking it out on me.

Reply to Lettah
Posted by: Cutie | 2011-02-23

By the way, I have been working for 32 years, my job SUCKS BIG TIME and I dont even earn your salary.... and I have a tertiary education... and I cannot find a NON AA position anywhere.... and I cannot afford to resign

Reply to Cutie
Posted by: Cutie | 2011-02-23

Yip resign and look for another job, why not what the hell. AA positions are readily available.

Reply to Cutie
Posted by: No sympathy | 2011-02-23

R25000 and you complain.
You know what we pay our teachers and nurses SHAME ON YOU.

Reply to No sympathy
Posted by: Frustrated | 2011-02-23

You will notice when you have left the job that its all about money when noone can even help you or want to associate with you and you are sick and have to pay for hospital bills and you dont have the money, then you will realise that just igoring what you are going through and taking up a new hobby whilst still on the job is way better.

Reply to Frustrated
Posted by: ll | 2011-02-23

AA position?

Reply to ll
Posted by: Liane | 2011-02-23

Its not that, all I am saying (can only speak for myself) is that I would love to have some extra money to spoil my family every month even if it means I am not hapy at work.

But your health and well being is more important than a few extra rands if you cen afford to resign without having permanent employement then by all means go ahead, I am sure you will find something quickly just obvioulsy not for that money.

Reply to Liane
Posted by: Vaal Donkie | 2011-02-23

Geez lady, I am a mid level computer programmer and I don't earn that much. Suck it up.

Reply to Vaal Donkie
Posted by: Lettah | 2011-02-23

I guess I am stuck here judging by your comments and my family say the same as well it is so bad that I ended up in hospital because if stress and whenever I tell people they say I should resign but once I start talking about my salary they all say hang in there I mean for how long should I go on like this. How long should I suffer because of money

Reply to Lettah
Posted by: Liane | 2011-02-23

What is making you so unhappy that you want to walk away? Maybe first try and sort out whatever issues you having now.

If it cannot be sorted out and you can afford to live without R25 000 per month then resign and look for another job...

If it was me in that position walking away because I am inhappy will def be a no no, goodness could do with that salary for doing admin :)

Reply to Liane
Posted by: Purple | 2011-02-23

Goodness gracious you are overpaid for admin work. Most people in admin jobs earn between R3 000 and R6 000 per month.

You won''t ever match that salary anywhere else for a junior admin position. If you work as a PA to a CEO you might, but generally you would need about 10 years experience or a degree to work in that role.

Reply to Purple | 1 comment (hide)
Posted by: Shinestar | 2014-12-01

In my opinion, all administrators, secretaries and PA's are underpaid. They are the people who make companies function, but they get minimum wage. If anyone think it is fair to pay anything less than R8000-00 p.m. to anyone these days, you have to acknowledge that you are contributing to poverty.

Posted by: Kelly | 2011-02-23

At least I''m not the only one hey!
Glad to hear others have sucky jobs too with sucky pay.

Reply to Kelly
Posted by: yeah | 2011-02-23

I also want to quit my job. Been here for almost 6 years and hate it. I am stuck in a cage and utterly bored. I spend my life studying at work and surfing the net.... I have enough money saved to stay home and finish my studies for a whole year, but everyone is telling me not to use my savings. So I am staying here until the end of the year and then resigning. Either to take my studies further (full time) or to find a more satisfying job.

Reply to yeah
Posted by: frustrated | 2011-02-23

I''ve worked for this company for 3 and half years as administrator and my take home is still on R4000.lucky you and please keep that job until you find another suitable one

Reply to frustrated
Posted by: Kelly | 2011-02-23

Hmm can''t we swop...

Reply to Kelly