Posted by: alison | 2008-11-07

I want to loose weight

I am in my 40' s and drink 4 glasses of red wine a day. I want to loose 10kg without giving up the wine. I have looked at a number of diets and I would consider myself to eat well within the recomendations of say weight less. I dont eat much bread, pasta, potatoes, rice or pizzas.

Could you recommend a swimming program that would burn the calories needed to loose this weight. I swim 30 minutes a day, 3 times a week. I walk 30 minutes a day, 6 times a week.

Hi Alison

Have a look at the Fitness page of this site, click on "Programmes" and then take your pick from the programmes that are available there. I think you'll find something suitable. However, having said that, I don't beleive that your current diet is very conducive to good results - it's not only the 4 glasses of wine (which is excessive), but also the lack of bread, pasta, rice and so forth. Those are not the foods that cause weight gain, and in fact you need them, and so something needs to change in your diet in order to help you achieve the goal. I really would suggest you see a dietician about it, it's vital. The exercise actually sounds pretty good at the moment, a mix of walking and swimming, the right number of days and the right intensity. So that side is, for now, OK, but I really do think that the diet is in need of revision.