Question
Posted by: Concerned sister | 2008/07/04

I want to know

is an HIV test while pregnant?

The reason for me asking is that my sister-in-law booked in hospital while whe was 7 months pregnant and they tested her which came up positive. She gave birth last week and they said they can only test the baby when he is 6 weeks old. My brother says there is nothing wrong with him and that the hospital is wrong. I know my brother likes women and I think he is just in denial as he refuses to go get tested.

He is losing weight rapidly but claims to be under pressure at work. He also drinks alot and sometimes drinks himself unconcious.

Please advise me as I so hope that there is nothing wrong with the baby.

Not altogether my area of expertise, Cs. Your brother is acting in denial, and what we call "wishful thinking" --- people in hospitals are careful about these tests. It takes 6 weks for the baby's developing immune system to be better able to show whether he has been infected. But if your sister-in-law has been infected, it's likely that your brother, too, is positive --- why doesn't he go for a blood test, too ? You imply that he sleeps with other women, too, so he may be spreading GIV to more women, and perhaps his child. Doesn't he see why he needs to be careful and at least to use condoms ? His drinking can be related to the weight loss, though that could also mean he is HIV positive and perhaps even developing AIDS itself --- again, he needs to have a proper checkup. Maybe he drinks to try to continue ignoring the fairly obvious facts here.
The baby may be clear, but only the tests, in time, will tell that

5
Posted by: concern latina | 2008/08/19

got hiv threw a date rape.and now bestfriend is now my partner for 18 yrs after the fact we use safe sex but im scared about speading my shingles to him even though its been 2month after the hosptal can i still get him sick please someone help ive been so careful and no he wasnt the rapist

Reply to concern latina
Posted by: concern latina | 2008/08/19

undetectable and just got over shingles what dose this mean

Reply to concern latina

Thanks Jenny. I just dont want the baby to suffer that's all.

Reply to Concerned sister

Thanks cybershrink!

We'll just have to wait for the 6 week test as he refuses to get tested.

Enjoy the weekend

Reply to Concerned sister
Posted by: Jenny (aka Nadine) | 2008/07/04

I know of a woman who found out she was HIV+ when she was 6 months pregnant. She gave birth and the child was clear. Then when she started getting really sick she fell pregnant again (pathetic!!!) and that child is also clear (or so we are told). I have seen the children and they look fine. She died and her husband is HIV+. He is still alive. I think she took anti-retrovirals while pregnant and thats why the children were negative.

Reply to Jenny (aka Nadine)