Posted by: Phindo | 2009-10-07

I want to go but am afraid to leave

I have been with the compay for three years now and i was employed as a stock controller. As months passed by i was given more tasks to do that were not related to my job description and i didn' t get any increase as when i raised the issue i was told i was gonna do that for only a short period of time then they will get someone to do that. no one was recruited until i went for my maternity leave came back in July only to find out everything was changed including my position but my payslip hasn' t changed i' m still a stock controller whereas i now do creditors. No formal arrangement was made i was told verbally what i was gonna do. It is ok with me to do something different and to know different kind of jobs but i feel that the company is exploiting me. The company is doing well as each year more stores are opened and that mean more work but when it comes to increase nothing. I' m afraid to talk to my bosses as I know once you say a word you are fired. I' m from maternity leave and behind with my accounts leaving work now is no option as i' m afraid to go to interviews as i can' t be late or miss work. i' m so miserable

Is there an HR or similar department or person in your company ? It would be great for the company to give you extra training and responsibility if this was matched with promotions and increases, so your career would progress, but not so great iof they were using you beyond your job description just to save money. I'm sure other readers with experience of such matters could advice properly. maybe someone at the Dept of labour could advise ? They shouldn't be able to exploit you, nor to penalize you for complaining, but the Dept of Labour could advise you of your rights.