Question
Posted by: Craig | 2009/01/28

I want to become fit

I' m playing sport and want to work on my level of fitness. I am doing basic short sprints, etc but want to find out if you know of anything more structured that i can follow to up my fitness level as i believe my fitness level has a direct influence on my sport

Any pointers would be greatly appreciated
Craig

Hi Craig

What sport? Fitness is very specific to the sport (squash requires a completely different set of fitness skills than rugby and soccer, for example), and so the training you do depends on the objective. I am guessing from the fact that you are doing short sprints that you're involved in team sports of some sort? Rugby or soccer? In that case, sprints are good, but don't forget that you have to balance this out with a bit of lower intensity training as well - lay the foundation by doing jogging and building a base through cardiovascular training. Otherwise, you're increasing the chances of injury.

So by all means look at the programme that Conrad follows, but just remember to scale back on certain aspects, and to lay a foundation that will help reduce injury risk. Further than this, it's difficult to be specific, since I don't know what you currently do.

3
Posted by: Craig | 2009/02/02

HI Doc, i' m playing cricket. Thank you for your response

Reply to Craig
Posted by: Craig | 2009/01/28

Ok, thanks - i' ll have a look for the one where Conrad is one. thanks Boyscout

Reply to Craig
Posted by: Boyscout | 2009/01/28

Hi Craig

Im no doctor but I can give advice. Go out and get this months Men' s Health, the one with Conrad Janjes on the cover. There' s an article in there on how he trains. There' s a workout routine that specifically concentrates on sprinting and running!

Cheers, hope this helps!

Reply to Boyscout