Question
Posted by: Google it | 2011/10/11

I want nothing

Dear Doc
Please can you advise me? I wantt o know if this is a normal reaction, something that needs treatment or can one even put a name to it?

2 years ago I found out that my husband, whom I worshipped and treated like my god, was cheating on me. Long story...lots of pain and agony................

I have now realised that I have had a really weierd thing going on ever since. I WANT NOTHING. I want to give everything away. If someone admires a piece of jewellery I have, I want to give it to them. I have no desire in buying clothes for myself, new furniture for the house etc etc. I do not even want new pets? I simply am happy with absolutely nothing and if I had my way I probably would have given away what I already have....

I love only my children unconditionally and I shy away from people who want to get close to me. If someone asks me questions that one could consider semi-personal, I shy away from answering and I get suspicious. I do not share any information with anyone about anything and I really don''t even like people anymore that much.... considering I used to love people and socialising.

On the surface all is good. I laugh and chat and carry on. I also don''t feel sick or anything in fact I love my own company, something I never liked as I always loved people around me.

I dont even tell anyone if I have a headache???

Sounds as though you are experiencing a complex and very uncomfortable reaction to the shock of discovering that your husband, who maybe you over-valued, has cheated. Finding that something / someone you valued so highly can turn out to be so much less than you assumed, you may be over-reacting by assuming that nothing has permanent value and that nothing is worth loving or caring about.
Shocked by the results of being perhaps too trusting, you have reacted by becoming too untrusting ; having been over-invested in one person, you have become under-invested in almost everything else.
Seeing a psychotherapist / counsellor would be a really good idea, as you are unnecessarily, even if understandably, depriving yourself of much joy in life now and for the future.

1