Posted by: lee | 2009-05-08

I wanna tone my body without loosing weight.

I' m 23, female and wanna tone my body without loosing weight as I' m quite thin already. I just feel I need to do some exercise to stay fit and would like to have a toned looking body, not too much muscle. Thanks...

You need a programme that is based around cardio training, including walking, jogging, cycling, perhaps aerobics, depending on what you have access to.

In terms of a programme, my advice would be to check out the programmes on the Health 24 fitness page.

Click on "Fitness", then on 'Programmes' and choose one of these training programmes. My advice would be to choose the walking or running programmes (the first or second one) and then go for them. Also look through the Fitness section, because there is a loads of useful information there that will help you. Basically, what you need to aim for regular exercise, and be consistent.

As far as exercise goes, it is a combination of cardio training and weight training that you need. Because it’s toning you’re looking for, the weight training takes on more importance than for someone who is trying to lose weight. That means maybe 50% of your time should be doing some kind of resistance training. You can do either machines and weights in the gym, or body weight – pushups, dips, lunges, squats, calf raises, and situps/crunches, and you’ll be hitting all the right muscle groups.

Finally, just remember that this is a long-term thing. All exercise is, but toning and changing how you look is maybe more difficult even than losing a little bit of weight. So start off with a realistic expectation, and then just stick with it.