Question
Posted by: Cat | 2011/06/28

I thought asparagus was a natural diuretic?

I''ve recently added blanched asparagus to my diet and it''s delicious with veggie stew. But, almost immediately after I started eating asparagus, I woke up the next morning with puffy eyes! EEEK! At least I don''t look like a pummeled old boxer, but how do I counter this? Surely this can''t be an allergy?

I don''t use too much salt in my food, but will increase my fluid intake after dinner if need be?

Dear Cat
Asparagus is a mild diuretic and does taste excellent on its own and in various combinations with other foods. You may have an intolerance to asparagus which is causing your puffy eyes, or there may be other environmental factors which are causing you to react at this moment in time. It is very dry and dusty which could cause the puffy eyes, or you may have changed some other component in your life (cosmetics, particularly eye makeup, moisturiser, cleanser, etc) which is causing your symptoms. If the puffy eyes only occur after you have eaten blanched asparagus then you may need to be tested for asparagus sensitivity. Your gp will arrange such tests if they are necessary. Stop eating the asparagus for 7-10 days and keep a record/diary of your eye condition, then re-introduce the asparagus and see if the puffiness returns. If it does, then you will either need to avoid asparagus or have the tests.

1

Dear Cat