Question
Posted by: Just Wondering | 2010/09/10

I think I''m normal??

Hi Doc!

Silly question. But I''m just wondering.
I''m an accountant for a living, so I do undergo a little bit of stress, but nothing excessive.
There is just something bugging me, where I at times wonder if I''m really normal or if I have a little " quirk"  or bearing missing.

I have this tendency, at home or work, that I sometimes " shift"  things around to form a line. Where I sit and shift things and allign things to try and match them the perfect distance from one another, and then sit and wonder if they really are the same distance from one another. I get frustrated when a bottle cap or lid does not fit perfectly on the item - it has to fit perfectly.

I''m also a total controll freak. I like to do everything myself - same, at home and work. I don''t like to deligate work as I know I can do it the right way, and don''t want to go looking for something that someone has put somewhere when I can do it myself and know where to look for it. At home, I do all the cooking as I feel my husband won''t do this or that the right way. Put too little water with the rice and not seal or cook the meat properly. I do the dishes myself because then I KNOW it''s clean and I don''t have to check it first.

Am I obsessive or compulsive??!

All bearings sound present ( though, being no accountant, maybe my counting isn't exact ? )
Actually, what you seem to be describing is a mildly obsessive personality, liking things to be orderly and properly arranged - a perfect background for a good accountant. Now, should this become exaggerated to the point that it interfere's with your ability to enjoy home and social life and work, then it may have slid acorss into an Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder, and that responds well to some medications and to CBT style counseling. It's a matter of whether these concerns are in proportion.
My late mother had a similar personality - an if I took her to see a play, she'd find it hard to concentrate on the great acting if on stage one of the pictures on the wall was crooked.

2
Posted by: Ja | 2010/09/10

Certainly sounds like it - I''m tired just thinking about everything you do .... lets see what doc says.

Reply to Ja