Question
Posted by: Nineathena | 2011/10/05

I think I''m a shopaholic...

*Just* read the daily Health24 mail.

I''m definitely a shopoholic. And not in the funny blaze sense that we all joke about.

I lie about how much things cost, I juggle accounts (better now, thank God), I have too many credit cards, I shop to make me feel better (and it REALLY REALLY does). I''m not anxious about purchases, but I sure as hell get that rush of euphoria. I''m even in a better mood when I''ve bought groceries for pete''s sake.

But I''ve got myself into lots of debt. I can still pay it every month, but it''s gotten to the point where my husband and I fought bitterly about my spending habits, and I have very little disposable income left after bills and debt...

What the hell should I do?!

Lying about one's bad habits is a pretty reliable indicator that they are out of control. If you shop responsibly, for only what you need, you only need one credit card, and better still, rather, a debit card, so you can't spend mopre than you have in your account. Cancel and cut up all the credit cards, in consultation with your bank, so you can consolidate all your debt into mone single account ; and maybe arrange one debit card with your bank, maybe setting a lowish limit on spending on it, related to what you MUST spend each month, and allowing for no luxuries or unnecessary purchases.
And see a psychologist for CBT style counselling / therapy to break this bad habit, and to find better and cheaper ways to feel good when you need to.

3
Posted by: Gold credit card holder | 2011/10/05

i also love shopping , isnt friut and veg city food lovers market devine?

Reply to Gold credit card holder
Posted by: Tiffany | 2011/10/05

The answer would, firstly, be to cut up your cards. Even if you start with two or three, it''s something. Try consolidate your debt so instead of having to pay six different amounts, you have say three (use on of your credit cards to pay off an account and CLOSE that account). Your husband is angry for a reason- remember the more money you cannot contribute to the household, the more money he has to and it won''t be equal. Plus, with the impending increases and recession, you could find yourself in a LOT of trouble. Try other ways to make yourself feel good on a bad day, and better on a good day. Try the gym- I don''t know if you already gym but if you don''t, you have NO IDEA how good you feel after a nice workout session. Brilliant, really. When you feel down, do other thinks that will make you feel ''proud'' of yourself for doing it- do a spring clean of the cupboards, give a carpets a clean, give the curtains a wash, garden, etc. When you already feeling good, instead of spending time at the shop, spend the time in the kitchen trying to cook or bake something different.

Reply to Tiffany