Posted by: Concerned Girlfriend | 2008-11-19

i think i' m emotionally unstable

Hope that you can still remember me, my bf passed on in August. Went to a dr last month and he diagnosed mild depression, i' ve been on meds now for about 3 weeks. Today i feel like just dying, there' s a photo that i took after the funeral (for work purposes) now today i' ve just received that photo - i have a lovely, huge smile and angelic eyes - but I know that behind all of that, there was this huge pain, this cry in my heart and immediately my heart just sank, now i' m all teary and emotional! I am at work and I was doing just fine all along - how do i explain this to my colleagues?!? or myself?

I feel so sad - i just want to die for a few days and wake up later.

It can be hard to diagnose depression amongst real grief, which is similar, but tends to be self-limiting. I would hope that your colleagues will recognize and respect your grief --- which normally takes many months to resolve itself. As I know well, from personal as well as professional expwerience, it has a way of catching you unexpectedly, and a sidden byrst of tears or a wail arrives --- maybe while watching an unexpectedly sad part of a movie, or caught by an image, a smell, a memory. Its normal, though very uncomfortable. Counselling, especially from someone accustomed to working with grief, could help. And time does heal, though one is reluctant to hear that because that's not how it feels, and it seems like a brush-off.