Question
Posted by: MELLIE | 2009/12/04

I TAKE A DIP

I have fruit and yoghurt for breakfast and 3 provitas at 10, at lunch I have a selenium wheat brown bread sandwich with lettuce, ham,fat free cottage cheese, and mixed veg artcha. ten to fifteen minutes after lunch I take such a dip that I GOT to lie down. This feeling will last for about an hour.What do you think it can be. I am 59yrs old, walk everyday and try to eat healthy 95% of the time.

Dear Mellie
I must say that I am puzzled that you seem to be suffering from what sounds like hypoglycaemia (low blood sugar) immediately after eating a lunch that is basically low-GI. I would suggest that you have a medical checkup to determine if you do have problems with your sugar and insulin levels. If you should suffer from hypoglycaemia and/or insulin resistance (IR), then it is essential to consult a clinical dietitian, because the correct diet is one of the most important factors in treatment. Visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area. The dietitian will take your IR or hypoglycaemia, into account when working out a diet for you, which will be based on low-fat foods with a low glycaemic index (GI). Click on 'Diet' and 'Weight loss' and 'The Glycaemic Index' and read the articles on the GI. Also click on ‘Food as Medicine' on the Diet Site and then on ‘Type 2 diabetes’. Regular daily aerobic exercise for at least 30 min per day can also help you to improve your insulin and glucose levels, so start doing an aerobic exercise (running, jogging, skipping, cycling, swimming, join a gym or Walk for Life).

1

Dear Mellie