Question
Posted by: Johan De Vries | 2011/03/22

I snap

Dear Dr.,

I snap loose my cool very easy. I can be in my best mood and will then just with the snap of a finger go off my head and will break things scream and hit my fist on the wall. I am in a snr. potition and cant afoord this kind of behaviour.

Pls help.

You're right, you really can' afford this sort of behaviour, and you seem to be describing major temper tantrums, not merely some brief angry words.
This could be related to many things - new or chronic job stress ; the development of a Depression of Anxiety Disorder ( which may be a bit more common after heart problems and bypass ), and other factors.
Maybe wise to see a good local psychiatrist for a full assessment, and a discussion of treatment options - especially as with the heart problems, medication, if recommended, would have to be carefully selected

11
Posted by: Cool | 2011/03/22

Eric with you being autistic and stuff can you speak to the spirits?

If you can, try get hold of satan for me, he owes me some serious money.

thanks

Reply to Cool
Posted by: Eric | 2011/03/22

I have also experienced this problem and as far as I am concerned the rages and melt-downs I have experienced from childhood are as a result of my being autistic  i.e. being on the high functioning side of the syndrome called Aspergers Syndrome. Just google " anger and rage aspergers"  and you will see what I mean. When I was diagnosed last year with Aspergers I was put on a lot of different tablets for anxiety, panic attacks, mood control and ADHD. Suffice to say I am now off all of these tablets as some did not agree with me and now all I do is hard exercise which helps considerably. But I have also done considerable research into this subject and I am now fully aware of the problems this syndrome can cause myself and others and this definitely helps me understand and control whats going on with me - just my ten cents worth and good luck Johan in finding out whats going on with you...

Reply to Eric
Posted by: Maria | 2011/03/22

Google " Stress Burnout" . I wonder if perhaps you are trying to do more than your body is capable of handling. My dad had a bypass as well, and it really whacks your system. I suggest you see a specialist physician for a full checkup, and take it from there.

Reply to Maria
Posted by: Johan again | 2011/03/22

thx for all the help, I agree it is all up to me on the end. This has been a issue for me for years, since prim. school days. Luckily i never become violent with my wife or cause any trouble. Maria pls tell me more about the burn out. I think you are correct.I do take a lot of medication, I had a by pass and have 6 stents. Also type 2 diab. on insulin. Two of my by pass crafts is gone and that side of the heart is supported with cross flow as they called it. I still work a full productive day.

Anyway to all thx so much.

Reply to Johan again
Posted by: Maria | 2011/03/22

The scary thing is the extent to which our reactions are chemically controlled, and can be altered by taking medication, illegal drugs, alchohol etc. What Johan describes could be a symptom of burnout. While it is theoretically under your control, sometimes you need some help and support.

Reply to Maria
Posted by: Phil | 2011/03/22

Maybe I should give you some exmples.

1. You put your hand on a hot plate, you burn. Never do that again. You in control of your actions.
2. You hit your wife, over and ovr untill one day she gets a protection order over you. You were doing this all along untill there was a Consequence, now you have to chaneg your behaviour.

So, the point is. Everyone can and will change if there is a Consequence. Since Johan doesn''t really have a Consequence  but a desire to change. He needs to create the " will"  to change. It is possible, a huge Consequence normally just forces the change faster.
Think about it, really simple like I said.

Reply to Phil
Posted by: Phil | 2011/03/22

Sorry Maria and Johan, it really wasn''t meant sarcastically. But be realistic now, any chnage in behaviour can only be achieved by yourself " wanting"  and having the will to change. Your actions are in your own controll, it really is that simple. Never said it is easy to change behaviopur  it can be quite difficult - but the solution is very simple...

Reply to Phil
Posted by: Maria | 2011/03/22

Oh for goodness sake Phil, that is utterly unhelpful.

Johan has this always been a problem for you, or is it something that only became an issue recently?

Reply to Maria
Posted by: beatlebug | 2011/03/22

lots of books available and group, individual counselling on anger management.

Good point I can add is that if you realize you are getting angry, and at that moment you just simply acknowledge to yourself in your mind that you are getting angry and you are angry, then the anger does actually become less and more manageable.

YOU have to say to yourself when you get angry " Hey im getting angry"  THATS IT. Dont think about why what when how or who, just ACKNOWLEDGE it to yourself.

Try it you will see that it works.

Reply to beatlebug
Posted by: Phil | 2011/03/22

If you are in a senior position, then surely you are intelligent enough to know that you - and only you are in control of your behavior/actions?

In essence, you are in control of your behavior. If you act in an unacceptable manner that you don''t approve of or act like, then don''t?

Reply to Phil