Posted by: Mrs Speedfreak | 2009-09-16

I seem to have a lot of wrinkles

I have just turned 70 and noticed clearly for the first time that I seem to have a lot of wrinkles. I don' t particularly want a facelift but wondered if these " non invasive"  face lifts they do in beauty salons would be of any use to me. Alternatively there seems to be a cream around called Biotoxcyl which claims to reduce wrinkles. Is Botox an option and if so, how long does the effect last? What happens if they inject incorrectly and one is left with a droopy eye or mouth?
Thank you.

Expert ImageAnti-ageing expert

Hi Speed Freak, thank you for the question.

Congratulations on the 70th Birthday and more importantly that you still feel young!

This is a difficult question to answer over the net as one would ideally like to examine the skin and underlying structures to determine the best non surgical treatment approach. We see a number of patients who prefer a non surgical approach and with today’s treatment choices and technological advances we can achieve amazing results in certain individuals. However, it also may be necessary to combine both surgical and non surgical treatments for the best results possible.

As a general rule I do not believe that any topical cream or beauty salon treatment/s will improve the appearance of one’s wrinkles. One would need to consider a combination approach using chemical peels, Botox, dermal fillers, and skin rejuvenation technologies with wrinkle removal, skin tightening and lifting (Matrix RF, Fraxel, UltraPulse FX, Sciton, etc.). All of these treatments should only be performed by a qualified medical doctor and only once it has been determined that an acceptable end result can be achieved.