Posted by: greg | 2009-08-26

I reduced my meal times

Hope you well Vanessa,

Ok I' ve reduced my meal frequency from 6 to 3 times a day while on glucophage. So far it seems to be working. I do feel a loss in strength tho, is this normal? I do boxing twice a week as well as hit the gym once a week. (gym training is based on Mike Mentzer' s training principles). I was doing pretty well in the strength department (200kg deadlifts, 40kg DB flys, etc) so the gym was working. I' d like to know if this style of eating will hinder my muscular and strength gains? I' m also concerned with regards to fitness for my boxing. Is the eating plan we discussed last week going to be sufficient for me to keep progressing in strength, size and endurance? I' m currently 6ft at 108kg (about 16%BF). Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you...

Expert ImageSports Nutrition

Hi Greg

I’m well – thanks for asking!
It will be normal to feel a loss of strength if you have reduced your calorie intake? To still obtain gains it is important to keep your protein intake at around 2-3g protein per kilogram of body weight and fill in the rest of the calories with your 20% fat and low GI carbs – keep the calorie intake just below what balance point is – see how it goes – if no joy then just increase it over.

You are in great shape! Wow! And doing great in terms of strength – you are very hard on yourself, but don’t worry since you will not be compromising your efforts by following the above mentioned principles – and yes keep it to 3 meals per day, and add a post-training liquid meal as well – all part of the mentioned calorie balance.

Good luck and let me know how you go.