Question
Posted by: lulu | 2011/06/05

i need you

Dear Doc, only recently found your page, I am like many others you deal with and like some of them, know that I am doing wrong by eating the wrong stuff or overeating and yet I still do it. I watch all sorts of diet programmes, read and listen to diet/eating programmes to help the obese and find myself often munching on something whilst I am watching these programmes and still thinking to myself that I should be adhereing to what they are saying....I know that I sound confused and I most probably am, but how do I stop feeding myself unnecessary snacks and food without the guilty and not so guilty feelings. How do I come to know what is good for me or not.because in my eyes everything I eat is *healthy* foods. I am 51yrs, I AM MORBID OBESE, and NO, I dont like to be like this because there are days that I can hardly walk and get out of breath very quickly. I am on meds for the thyroid, highblood pressure, diabetes, dvt, anxiety and depression, I also have a low iron rate. Every day I wake up and decide TODAY IS THE DAY that I change my life and yet 2 hours in, I find myself munching on something and then I sleep, sleep sleep for most of the day to try and stop me from eating more. its a round circle and I just dont seem to stop the spinning. Would really be interested to hear what you have to say. Be Blessed for helping us all. Regards lulu xx

Expert ImageEating Disorders Expert

Hello Lulu,
Well, it appears while I have been away from the forum for a while, that there is plenty of peer support happening. That's great and I encourage it. I must, however, make mention of one caution. For as much as one of you might have found great benefit from following a diet for wheat intolerant individuals, it does not necessarily mean that it is going to have the same response universally to everyone who feels discomfort from eating wheat. From what you have written, I would suggest that you look at your eating behaviors and identify those that are conducive to your comfort eating or eating that is not done consciously. A word of warning to anyone who eats in front of the television. Look at the movies, where soneone will eat a colossal barrel of popcorn while being distracted by a fast-paced thriller! If you suspect that you may be intolerant, please get it confirmed by a registered medical specialist. Lulu, I am not sure whether you have considered seeing a therapist and exploring whether your eating behavior is a distraction from emotional difficulties that you are experiencing and hiding away from. It's just a consideration. Similarly, you might benefit from being thoroughly assessed by a dietician, preferably one who specializes in eating disorders and disordered eating. I hope this helps.
Regards,
Graham

10
Posted by: Eating Disorders and Obesity Expert | 2011/06/14

Hello Lulu,
Regards,
Graham

Reply to Eating Disorders and Obesity Expert
Posted by: Caro | 2011/06/08

Hi Lulu and Sameboat
I will only be able to email you next week as I am away at the moment and am not allowed emailing as part of an agreement. Am at a very fancy place with chocolates and cookies 24/7 but I have not had even one and there is a bowl right in front of me. I dont even crave it. Been drinking water and have ordered low-fat lunch for later. I would love to be in contact with you so we can encourage each other. I will email Lulu from my Blackberry later and then let me know when SB has sent her address. I wont be able to walk or run here in the mountains so really have to watch what I eat. They bake the loveliest breads here but I''m not having any. They went out and ordered seasonal fruit especially for me and now everyone else wants what I''m eating. There are people her who have not seen me since last year and have commented on how I am disappearing. I am again wearing a pants which i had not worn in ages because it was too small and now it is too big.
Take care and love yourself enough to do the best for you. I think I will climb a bit of mountain before lunch just to get the metabolism going. Will you also try to walk just a little bit? I''ll check in with you later. going to email soon Lulu.

Reply to Caro
Posted by: lulu | 2011/06/08

oooopppppsssss forgot to add it in hahahahahahaha
lulubelle921@gmail.com hahhahahahaha

Reply to lulu
Posted by: lulu | 2011/06/08

Hi Ladies, here is my email address. I will correspond with you through this address if you so wish. Regards lulu

Reply to lulu
Posted by: same boat | 2011/06/07

Sorry Caro! !
I completely forgot to add your name as well as I am so excited. If you want, we could correspond as well. You are an encouragement to everyone out there.

Reply to same boat
Posted by: same boat | 2011/06/07

Hi Lulu
I think it would be great if we could correspond with one another and hopefully in this way help/encourage each other. One problem though...how does one go about giving out our email address without sharing it with the whole world? I am actually excited to be able to speak to someone in the same boat. So, lets give it a try...

Reply to same boat
Posted by: Lulu | 2011/06/07

Hi Lulu
Please send me your email. Perhaps we can be of assistance to one another to keep us both on track. I have been on and off for 6 months now. The longer I do it the more I am on than off. With the wheat thing, I realised that it takes 8 weeks for it to work out of yur system so you can stop craving it. I stopped and started but never gave up. I am there now. Giving up wheat also stopped my craving for sweets. Sometimes I buy myself a chocolate (always KitKat as it has no toffee or nougat which is fattening) as a reward but then it lies there for days without me touching it. Eventually I share it with my family - one finger each. The longer you stick to it, the more you lose weight the farther you will be able to walk. I had a bunged knee and foot due to my weight but now these no longer bother me because I am lighter. So it is good that you keep exercising in your chair. Get some weights as this will increase your metabolism and help to burn fat. I am going to weigh myself for the first time in 5 months this weekend. I am scared but also excited because this morning I put on a black pants I wore last winter and I could pull it on without undoing the zipper and buttons. I have to roll it over to keep it up at work.

Reply to Lulu
Posted by: lulu | 2011/06/06

Dear Same Boat, we should chat more often ........ let me kno if you want my email address - it would be nice to chat to someone who is in the same predicament as myself....
Dear Caro - thanks for telling me the way you are able to loose the weight - I have tried the allergic story, (it only lasted a little while), walking at the moment is not an option as my legs dont really carry my bulk and I get totally out of breath but that doesnt stop me from trying to exercise on the bed or in a chair. Just hearing that you have achieved puts renewed oomph in me and for that I thank you - Would like to hear from you more often - let me know if you want my email.....Blessings to you both lulu

Reply to lulu
Posted by: Caro | 2011/06/06

Dear Lulu and Same boat
I am 45 years old and MORBIDLY OBESE. But this is coming to an end! For 4 months now I have been loving and patient with myself and start each day anew. I have lost kgs and am just a few kgs away from being just OVERWEIGHT. I weigh less than 100 kg now. I told myself that I am allergic to wheat which means that I cannot eat any cake, pastries, bread or cookies. There are enough other food in the shops and my house to keep me full. I eat lots of lentils and beans and fruit and veg. I am also ''allergic'' to processed meats and cheese. I eat cottage cheese and yoghurt and milkshake smoothies made from banana, milk, vanilla, yoghurt and teaspoon of peanut butter (BlackCat has a sugar-free and salt-free one) when I crave things. I drink lots of water before meals or craving anything. If I feel like eating something, I first drink water, eat a fruit, then go for a walk (even 5 minutes), then I tend to eat less of the thing I craved or dont feel like eating it at all. This way it does not have power over me but I have power over it.
I took my measurements and record it in a table every week. Amazing how from one week to the next even my underwear fitting better encouraged me. Today I am wearing a sexy green pants and jacket I had not been able to wear in 2 years! I look good to me.
Don''t store food you shouldn''t eat. Eat something before going to the shops. Walk a little further every day (I can do 6 kms at a time but when I started I could only do 500m). I am even running now (just 2 minutes) which I never thought I''d ever be able to do.
Find a picture of how you''d like to look (not supermodel - just realistic). Eat a good breakfast (rolled oats with honey and cinnamon during the week and eggs on the weekend.
Give up bread - it will take a few weeks but it will curb your cravings once it is out of you system.
Cut down on sugar and all processed meat like viennas and sausage.
Take it slowly. Be kind to yourself. It''s not about willpower, it''s more about frame of mind. Start each hour anew. If you slip up 2 hours into the day and are aware of it, stop, and carry on the rest of the day trying harder. Walk, Water, Wonderful.

Let me know how it goes. I wish you well.

Reply to Caro
Posted by: same boat | 2011/06/05

Hi Lulu
I, too, am in exactly the same position as you. The only difference is our age. I am on the same medication &  also morbidly obese and live every day in fear that something is going to happen. Our health is seriously at stake but we cant stop eating despite all good intentions. I feel so sad knowing that I will probably be in the same position a few years down the line (no disrespect to you). The reality that I most probably am going to live my remaining years stuck in the same vicious cycle is scary. I know what I must do, but can''t. I can only keep it up for a day or 2 then slip back into my unhealthy habits Take this weekend - I have spent entire wknd so far unable to leave my house . All I do is eat and sleep. Tomorrow I have to go to work and am going to be in agony as walking is agony. But, I will put on a smiling face and not show the world my life of shame. Its sad knowing there are so many people out there struggling. Keep well. God bless.

Reply to same boat