Question
Posted by: Busisiwe | 2008/07/17

I need to gain weight

I would like to gain weight quickly I am eating all the foods but nothing is changed. I have TB and HIV what foods can make me gain weight as I am still on medication. which foods can I eat that can assist me on that

Dear Busisiwe
I am sorry to hear that you are suffering from TB and HIV, as both these conditions do cause pronounced weightloss. If at all possible, please consult a clinical dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area). If this is not possible, contact the SA Sugar Association to obtain their Booklet on 'Food Choices for People Living with HIV' from The Nutrition Department, SA Sugar Association, P O Box 700, Mount Edgecombe, 4300, or phone: (031) 508-7000, or send an e-mail to: nutrition@sasa.org.za for excellent information on diets for HIV. Do continue to take all your medications as prescribed because this is essential esp to overcome the TB as a first step to getting you to feel better and gain some weight.