Question
Posted by: bunny | 2010-07-05

I need meds

I need to have my 6-month prescription re-newed, but I owe my psych like R3-4000 already and I left a message that I just need the script so I can continue the meds at least. I am adamant to pay him all up, I am working now. Getting better, being on the meds helps TREMENDOUSLY. But the doc is not answering my message.
Where else can I get a script? My finances are extremely volatile and I cannot pay another doctor R1000 for a 40min session just to get a script for the meds that have proven to help me.
I''m becoming anxious, I just want to be better, work hard, pay all my bills full up. I need my meds.
Please please please, How do I get hold of them?
It''s only lamictal and seroquel.
I don''t know why my doc can be so deranged as to just ignore all my desperate messages, just for 1 piece of paper that could help me get my meds?
Please help me.
I want to be well. I want to stay well.

maia's right, there are various possible areas o problem here. First of all, your GP should be able to renew the prescription, especially if he/she can see the empty bottles establishing what meds at what doses you were receiving. Technically, with uncommon emergency and specific exceptions, a doc should not write a prescription for a patient he does not know personally and who he has not examined / assessed. Long-term chronic meds can be re-presribed without an extra examination in some situations ( such as chronic anti-arthritis meds ).
You seem to have a problem with owing your doc a large amount of money, which must represent a number of different visits - why did you run up such a large debt without discussing it with him ?
You need to discuss with him how you plan to deal with the debt. R 1000 for a simple session shounds like rather an excessive charge.
YOu could go to a state hospital / clinic who would need to re-assess you and select the meds they think best. Seroquel, for instance, may not be on the list of drugs they are enabled to prescribe.

3
Posted by: me | 2010-07-05

Hi bunny. Go to your GP and ask for them to renew the script, much cheaper than a specialist. They do it for me.

Reply to me
Posted by: Maria | 2010-07-05

Did your message to the doc include an explanation of your plan to pay him? Maybe fax/email that information, e.g. you''re working now and can pay back the debt at x rand per month, would that be acceptable?

I don''t know if it is ethical of a doctor not to renew your script, or to renew without seeing you.

Reply to Maria