Posted by: Aubrie | 2009-03-20

I need help!!! SOON

I have recently been developing i guess you could say panic attacks. I dont know if you could call tham panic attacks...I have sudden fear in little things, i get a shortness of beath and it wont come back to me for like 10 minutes then I feel fine, untill it startes all over again! Its really scaring me because i dont know what to do or how to handle it. Should i go to my Parents (im only a high schooler) or a Counseler or a Doctor. My best friend says to go to a Theropist.

Not only have I been having " Panic Attachs"  Ive had evry quick mood swings, ive been questioning EVERY single choice i make, I have not been eating alot besides at school (because i dont want people to think im sick, but am I??) I NEED HELP, AM I SICK, JUST PLEASE POST A COMMENT OR SOMETHING LIKE THAT BECAUSE I WOULD REALLY APPRECIATE IT!!!!! THANX

Mmm, sorry, the wrong answer got in the wrong place. I was trying to respond using a Telkom shop, which, considering that it was selling lightning fast internet connections, had in its demos the slowest connectons I have experienced in 20 years on the net ! And my correct, thopughtful and caring answer to you somehow got lost ( I had to open multiple windows to try to copy, paste and post answers ).
Anyhow, Maria is right, as usual.
I can't be sure thether these events, certainly anxiety attacks, might even be panic attacks, but anyhow they will respond well to treatment. First its best to see a good local shrinkf ro a proper assessment and diagnosis, and then a discussion of your treatment options, which should probably include some medications and CBT ( Cognitive-Behaviour Therapy ) which can greatly help you both to regain control over such episodes of anxiety, but also to recognize and cope better with whatever triggers your stress. DO discuss this with your parents, who should understand and help you to get this help, which you need and deserve. You're not well, and can soon get better, but no need to think of yourself as sick, just as someone with a problem, who is planning to get better soon.

Posted by: Maria | 2009-03-21

Aubrie, I think CS' s answer was meant for another post. Would you feel comfortable speaking to your parents about this? Do you have a family doctor that you trust? I would start there, go see your doctor and tell him/her exactly what you told us here. You can even print it and take it with if you want to. If you need to talk to someone who can give you some advice on how to approach your parents, try Lifeline:
0861 322 322  Depression and Anxiety Group helpline:
8am-8pm (011) 262-6396.

You have a real problem, you don' t have to be ashamed of it, and you have an absolute right to get treated. Recognising and admitting the problem is a very good start to solving it. Hang in there and ask for help, you deserve it.

Reply to Maria
Posted by: C*bershrink | 2009-03-21

( the real Cybershrink responding, from a Telkom store, during my shopping expedition )
If the problems are complex, it' s best to get a professional counsellor, eg through FAMSA.
Now, the erectile dysfunction ( ED) should be soluble, but best have him see a urologist first to check up whether there are any physical problems needing to be attended to ( for instance, someone may develop diabetes, causing erection problems, without realising it ) The fact that he has early morning erections is a good sign that the plumbing is probably in good working order.
A man is also a sensitive character, and after even one failure, anxiety anticipating further failures can in fact cause further failures, and so on.

Reply to C*bershrink