Question
Posted by: Regina | 2010/09/04

I need advise - Metformine and breastfeeding

I have PCOS and I am taking Metformine/Glucophage 850, three times a day, at the moment I am 38 weeks pregnant, I will like to breast feed for 6 weeks but I am told I cant because I have PCOS and I have to take Metformine/Glucophage which is not good for the baby. Now I need to know what will be best for me and the baby to leave the medication for 6 weeks or not to breast feed at all? If I dont take the medication what will happen to me?

If you are diabetic it is important to continue the Metformin, unless this is only there in pregnancy. I enclose an extract from a study on Metformin and breastfeeding.
'The concentrations of metformin in breast milk were generally low and the mean infant exposure to the drug was only 0.28% of the weight-normalized maternal dose. As this is well below the 10% level of concern for breastfeeding, and because the infants were healthy, we conclude that metformin use by breastfeeding mothers is safe. Nevertheless, each decision to breastfeed should be made after conducting a risk:benefit analysis for each mother and her infant.

1